During our pastoral vacancy, Holy Communion will be celebrated as supply/interim pastors are available.
Our Sunday morning worship service takes one of several forms depending on the Sunday.
On the first Sunday of the month, festival Sundays (such as Easter and Reformation), and all Sundays during the seasons of Lent and Advent, we celebrate Holy Communion. All baptized Christians who normally commune in their home congregation and who believe in the presence of Christ in the elements of Communion are invited to take Communion with us. Anyone is welcome to come forward for a blessing.
The service is printed in a booklet and includes all responses. Evangelical Lutheran Worship, our hymnal, is only used for hymns; hymn numbers can be found on the hymn boards near the front of the sanctuary or in the booklets.
Our services are full of music — we love to sing! Music is played on a pipe organ, and a choir sings an anthem during the service from September through May.
A children’s sermon is given during the service. Following the Gospel reading, children are invited to come forward to the front of the sanctuary for this message.
All volunteers working with children and staff have been screened and trained in accordance with Salem’s Child Protection Policy and Pennsylvania law.
During the summer, we worship at 9:00 AM. There is no Sunday School.
Throughout the year, we celebrate festivals with services of Holy Communion. Festivals include Easter, Pentecost, Holy Trinity, Reformation, and more. We also set aside other important days through the year for worship, such as Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, and Holy Week; some of our special services are held cooperatively with the other churches in Marion or with other Lutheran churches in the area. To find upcoming festival and special services, view Events.
- Christmas Eve with Holy Communion, 7:00 PM
- Marion Community Ash Wednesday with the imposition of ashes and Holy Communion, 7:30 PM (site rotates—see Calendar)
- Wednesdays in Lent (with Evangelical Lutheran Church)
- Holy Week
- Marion Community Maundy Thursday with Holy Communion, 7:00 PM (site rotates—see Calendar)
- Good Friday service of shadows, 7:30 PM (with Evangelical Lutheran Church)
- Marion Community Thanksgiving, 7:00 PM (site rotates—see Calendar)
- Outdoor Services (spring and fall), 10:15 AM, outdoors at the church